From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, pms-bugs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] New version constraints: variant one
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 07:48:43
1 On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 00:19:16 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Thu, 10 Nov 2016, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >
6 > > The following revision-free version comparison operators are provided:
7 >
8 > > == exact version match, or prefix match (with *)
9 > > != exact version non-match, or prefix non-match (with *)
10 > > < version less than match
11 > > <= version less or equal to match
12 > > > version greater than match
13 > > >= version greater or equal to match
14 >
15 > I think we should stick to the existing operators, and not introduce
16 > two slightly different sets for different contexts.
17 >
18 > Especially:
19 > - The operator for exact version match should be = not ==.
20 > - Omit the != operator because it can be confused with blockers. If an
21 > operator for inequality is needed, we can add one but it should work
22 > everywhere (we could e.g. use <> for that).
23 > - The ~ operator is missing.
24 >
25 > > All those operators compare on versions ignoring the revision part.
26 >
27 > I am strictly opposed to this. Again, it is confusing to have the same
28 > operators acting in a different way depending on context.
29 >
30 > > The following revision-oriented version comparison operators are
31 > > provided:
32 >
33 > > === exact version+revision match
34 > > !== exact version+revision non-match
35 > > <== version+revision less or equal to match
36 > > >== version+revision greater or equal to match
37 >
38 > These are not necessary if the regular operators match revision.
39
40 Most of your comments don't make sense if you are commenting on
41 the actual proposal. However, it seems that you immediately ignored
42 the core part of the proposal, and then commented on stupidity of some
43 distorted, imagined, half-ass proposal you imagined that lacks the core
44 part.
45
46 So, please, keep your comments on topic. If you don't like the proposal
47 (I didn't expect it to be otherwise), try at least to stay objective.
48 Because, really, complaining that proposal doesn't have '~' operator
49 means that you either didn't care to try to understand it, or that you
50 immediately discarded what you didn't like and complained on the result
51 you created yourself.
52
53 I expected more of you.
56 Best regards,