From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:27:38
1 On 09/24/2011 02:10 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> I believe something needs to be done with the zlib-1.2.5.1-r1 and -r2
4 >> packages currently in the tree. The maintainer of zlib pushed those
5 >> revisions with a patch that alters macro identifiers, making Gentoo's zlib
6 >> incompatible with upstream. As a result, a lot of packages stopped
7 >> building. Bug reports for broken packages come in and then are being
8 >> modified to fit Gentoo's zlib.
9 >>
10 >> Breaking compatibility with upstream zlib also means that non-portage
11 >> software, the ones I install with "./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr&& make
12 >> install", also won't build.
13 >> [...]
14 >
15 > It seemed to me like this was a silly problem from the outset. vapier
16 > did arguably the right thing, and if that means exposing some broken
17 > software, fine. We handle plenty of breakage worse than this, but I
18 > understand that it can be inconvenient.
19 >
20 > However, you completely lost any support when you said
21 >
22 >> Yes, bad idea. But it's in my liberty to write code however I see fit.
23 >
24 > That just makes me want to slap you.
25 >
26 > I'll echo what vapier said in response: it's absolutely your
27 > prerogative to do whatever you want, but it's not our responsibility
28 > to make sure that it works in Gentoo.
29
30 The code is perfectly valid. You cannot force people to follow your
31 coding standards. If it's valid C code, it doesn't matter that it
32 contradicts your personal preferences. It's not your code and you don't
33 have a saying in it. What's next, banning software that indents code
34 with tabs instead of spaces?
37 >> It's a bad call. You've made plenty of those lately. This is just another one.
38 >> IMO, you don't have the skills and insight to mess with this stuff. So when you
39 >> try, breakage happens. I hope you retire soon.
40 >
41 > Are you kidding me? Grow up.
42
43 This was just another episode of Vapier's hostile and arrogant behavior
44 towards users. Every time someone comes up with a valid argument of why
45 he's wrong, the final answer is "don't care, I do what I please because
46 I'm the dev and you're not." So my reply was the politest I could come
47 up with without using the f-word.