From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tone in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 22:33:53
Roy,

On 06/16/10 21:40, Roy Bamford wrote:
> As a native English speaker (from England) I view Jers reply as terse > and to the point, completely lacking in tone.
interesting. Looking at the sentence "When did you point this out to devrel?" I would like to say that while it's not impolite per se it's implicitly saying "You _have to_ point this out to dev rel" in my ears. A more or less word-by-word translation to German ("Wann hast du das gegenüber DevRel angesprochen?") would make perfect sense and carry the same problem so I assume it's not an English language thing. In contrast asking "Have you pointed this out to DevRel? What was their reaction?" does not seem to have this mis-hearing problem, at least not to me. I remember a guy of the German Unix User Group (GUUG) saying something like "Communication is always oriented at the receiver". Applying that to tone and avoiding mis-interpretation the sender has the power (and arguably the responsiblity) to sounds as friendly as needed to be sure it will not be understood as unfriendly. In a way there's always a way to be friendlier - _without_ faking anything. Some of you may know ArneBab's signature saying: "Being unpolitical means being political without realizing it." Maybe not applying tone means applying tone without realizing, too. Best, Sebastian