From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for November
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:36:03
1 On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 01:35 -0800, Peter Gordon wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 08:40 +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even
4 > > vote on, let us know ! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole
5 > > Gentoo dev list to see.
6 >
7 > I have one item that I would like to see addressed in the next possible
8 > council meeting: The reply behavior of gentoo-core messages. What's
9 > happening is that gentoo-core appears to have no default Reply-To header
10 > set.
11
12 Ehh... this is not something that we should be deciding. This *should*
13 be up to Infrastructure. They've made a decision, you just don't happen
14 to like it. Well, I know that we're going to back Infrastructure.
15 Their current position is that this isn't going to change, and I support
16 that. Were it left up to me, I'd say quit abusing Reply-To on every
17 list.
18
19 Now, there's three options.
20
21 #1. Learn to use your mailer correctly, or switch to a mailer that
22 doesn't suck. Since people are rabid about the software they use and
23 how they use it, I see this one as the least likely to happen.
24
25 #2. Add Reply-to to -core via .procmailrc:
26
27 :0 fhw
28 * ^List-Id:.*gentoo-core\.gentoo\.org
29 |formail -I 'reply-to: gentoo-core@l.g.o'
30
31 #3. Remove Reply-to from all the other lists via .procmailrc:
32
33 :0 fhw
34 * ^List-Id:.*gentoo.org
35 | formail -I "Reply-To:"
36
37 Now you aren't forcing anything on anyone. Everyone is capable of
38 customizing their own environment. Use this empowerment to make things
39 work how you want and quit trying to push your own agenda on everyone
40 else.
41
42 > Secondly, every other Gentoo mailing list that I am subscribed to
43 > (g-dev, g-devrel, g-gwn) adds a Reply-To header which instructs the
44 > dev's MUA to default to replying to the list address, rather than to the
45 > individual sender of the message to which they reply. Unfortunately,
46 > gentoo-core is the only list which does not follow this behavior.
47
48 Umm... bullshit. The gentoo-gwn list doesn't set Reply-to to anything.
49 Instead, it is *my* responsibility to set Reply-to to the gwn-feedback
50 alias (not the list) to replies. This is the correct behavior and use
51 of Reply-to and why Reply-to munging on mailing lists sucks to badly. I
52 CAN NOT set Reply-to on this list to a location where I want to receive
53 replies.
54
55 Now, Andrea has explained his position on this, and while I do not agree
56 with him, I do support him. In other words, so long as he wants it to
57 remain the way it is, I'll support it, and use procmail to make the
58 system work the way I want it for myself.
61 Chris Gianelloni
62 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
63 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
64 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
65 Gentoo Foundation