From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: joining the Software Freedom Conservancy
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:30:35
1 On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 17:28 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > Ryan Hill wrote:
3 > > Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > >> While I think this would be an excellent move, there are a few topics
5 > >> that concern me a bit:
6 > >> 1) just to be sure, did someone check the transfer agreement between the
7 > >> Foundation and the old Gentoo, Inc for potential problems?
8 > >> 2) what would this mean for our copyright situation? In detail:
9 > >> a) who would (legally) own the copyright?
10 > >> b) what would (in theory) be involved if we'd want to enforce/change
11 > >> the license?
12 > >> c) if the copyright were owned by the Conservancy, would we have to
13 > >> change our copyright headers (in existing and/or new files)?
14 > >
15 > > It might be worth noting that it appears that Gentoo would be the first
16 > > distribution to join. I'd be interested in knowing if the SFC considers
17 > > distributing closed-source or proprietary software (nero, ati/nvidia
18 > > drivers, vmware) to be "producing non-free software (as per the
19 > > Conservancy's charitable purpose)" as mentioned in section 2(b) of their
20 > > notes. Paragraph 2(a) seems to prohibit it.
21 > >
22 > >> a. The Project Will Be Free Software. The Conservancy and the Project agree that
23 > >> any software distributed by the Project will be distributed solely as Free Software.
24 > >
25 > > If that's not a problem I think this is a great idea.
26 >
27 > We don't "distribute" those, do we? A look at their ebuilds shows that
28 > those are just downloaded from upstream, not from Gentoo mirrors. Well,
29 > except for Nero.
30 >
31 > At least we aren't the creators of it!
32 >
33 > Does that document you mention define what "Free Software" is? nvidia
34 > drivers are free to download, install, use, in the sense that they don't
35 > cost anything. Bah, legal hassle!
36
37 It doesn't matter, since the SFC has already said they would welcome us.
38 I think Grant did a quick "informal" LICENSE scan and determined that
39 like 95% of the tree was GPL-licensed. That high of a percentage was
40 enough for the SFC, along with our informal policy of preferring OSS
41 over proprietary. After all, we could still be offering XFree86, but
42 chose to go with the more "open" of the two and focus all of our
43 energies there. We've also seen quite a few external drivers get
44 removed over the years after the open replacements got good enough to
45 replace the proprietary drivers. I'm sure many of you can come up with
46 your own examples of this. The point was that we *do* push free
47 software, and our products are free software and not proprietary. The
48 only real problem that I have here is it limits our ability to ever have
49 a non-free fork, such as an enterprise fork, run by us, without leaving
50 the SFC. Of course, we're nowhere near that point now, so it shouldn't
51 be a primary concern, especially considering that we can leave the SFC
52 of our own volition at any time, and the SFC will even help us set up
53 ourselves when/if that times comes.
56 Chris Gianelloni
57 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
58 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
59 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
60 Gentoo Foundation