From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:34:15
1 On Saturday 22 November 2003 07:43, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Saturday 22 November 2003 02:32, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 >
4 > > Quick poll of people reading this thread: Would you like to see the
5 > > removal of nonfree software from the tree? That means things like
6 > > vmware, the java packages, etc.
7
8 As a Gentoo user/dev who has multiple deployments of Gentoo in a corporate
9 environment, I would be highly pressed to look for an alternative
10 distribution if non-free software was to be removed. I promote free software
11 as much as I can, but I simply have to sometimes make the most economically
12 sound choice.
13
14 Think about the FSF's motive behind the creation of a Lesser GPL... to promote
15 a more widespread use of the libraries vs. requiring code linked against it
16 be freely available. I think some analogous ideas can be drawn here as well.
17
18 Caleb
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list