From: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GNAP 1.7 Release (Gentoo Network APpliance)
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:04:06
1 GNAP 1.7 is out !
2
3 GNAP is a Gentoo-based Network Appliance building system. It allows to
4 build LiveCDs or bootable disks with a customized network appliance
5 configuration in seconds. This is especially useful to quickly install
6 Gentoo on small-CPU hosts to use them as routers, firewalls, VPN boxen...
7
8 Starting points :
9 http://embedded.gentoo.org/gnap.xml
10 http://embedded.gentoo.org/gnap-userguide.xml
11
12 This version includes two major new features.
13
14 R/W overlay
15 It is now possible to specify the name of a partition from which to
16 overlay files at boot-time, allowing to write configuration changes back
17 to a floppy or a specific CF partition for example.
18
19 Easier extensibility
20 Add new functionality to GNAP used to force you to rebuild a complete
21 new core, which took both time and effort. The new extension system in
22 gnap_make allows you to build extensions without building a new core,
23 and the new gnap_remaster tool helps you to add extensions to existing
24 core files.
25
26 So emerge gnap and play ! Ask me on IRC for any questions you may have.
27
28 For bugs/patches/enhancement requests, use the Bugzilla "Embedded"
29 component and assign bugs to me. Thank you.
32 Thierry Carrez (Koon)