From: "Dawid Węgliński" <cla@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:36:17
On Tuesday 27 October 2009 00:26:38 Zeerak Waseem wrote:
> But instead of just giving the user the answer, wouldn't it be more > appropriate, as far as understanding useflags and their uses goes, to give > users lists of useflags and what they do. Ie a list of base use flags for > say, kde, and also what basic useflags to disable, and a suggestion to > read the descriptions of the useflags to add what's necessary. As the > handbook currently does. I think with the documentation, one should have > enough information to assess what useflags are desired for one's system. > And then I'd suggest looking at the packages and the need for various use > flags individually, if you want to. But the documentation provides basic > useflags for running your system. > But again, this is just my take on it :-) >
No. Handbook doesn't provide information on every useflag. For this you have use{.local.,.}desc in PORTDIR/profiles/. And again, if you missread my previous post - there's no way to standarize *every* useflag and tell user "flag foo does bar". It's developer who should decide on behalf of user what's the best configuration. And user has always choice to disable some useflags and create his own configuration for his requirements. -- Cheers Dawid Węgliński