From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_KEYWORDS + bootstrap.sh
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:14:15
1 Hi Felipe.
2
3 On Sunday 16 March 2003 11:49, Felipe Ghellar wrote:
4 [skip]
5 > Ok, let's simulate the installation process...
6 >
7 > 1) I preapare everything according to the Install Guide
8 > 2) I set up my make.conf the way I want it, with ~x86
9 > 3) I run bootstrap.sh; it ignores my "unstable" choice and builds a
10 > "stable" base system
11 > 4) I run emerge system and then complete the installation
12 > 5) later, I run emerge --sync and emerge -u --deep system; it now
13 > follows my "unstable" choice and brings in all those packages
14 > bootstrap.sh ignored
15 The point is: bootstrap.sh buildlarge number of packets, gcc - twice and glibc
16 once just to name the largest ones. If you get problems during bootstrap, you
17 will have to identify it, correct your settings and rebootstrap.... Which
18 potentially is a much larger waste of time. And by using "whatever pleases"
19 at *this* point we are bringing the chances of failure to a noticeably high
20 rate... Therefore I think the present way of enforcing stable profile is a
21 right way to do it in general.
22 That said, I agree with your point that gentoo, being a meta-distribution,
23 should allow its users to break itself as they wish ;). And the best way to
24 accomodate this would be to add a short note (with appropriate disclaimer,
25 like "we warned you, if you still insisted, please try to sort your screw-ups
26 yourself...") to install instructions. Just a regular note in pp11 or 12
27 should be fine - not too much noticeable/intrusive, but people looking for
28 that kind of info will find it..
29
30 As for possible arguments, that the aove scenario is not such a waste of time,
31 because you can modify bootstrap.sh to omit recompilations.. Well, if you are
32 going to modify bootstrap.sh, you will notice what it does and will probably
33 modify it so it picks up your wanted packges in the first place...
34
35 BTW, please feel free to add these comments to the bug you mentioned, so that
36 somebody may consider modifying docs to suit the situation..
37
38 George
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list