From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed removal of service: torrents.gentoo.org
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 08:59:33
1 23.12.2012 22:49, Robin H. Johnson пишет:
2 > torrents.gentoo.org has been down for a few months now, and there have
3 > been very few comments about it. Up until a few years ago, it was still
4 > quite useful, but I believe that we have sufficient bandwidth and
5 > mirror-coverage around the world that it's become a moot point.
6 >
7 > (snip)
8 >
9 > If we need torrents in future, we should use public trackers, as there
10 > is no further need to run our own BitTorrent tracker. The .torrent
11 > files themselves should live on our own mirrors, with GPG signatures to
12 > prove authenticity (we actually only need to sign the infohash value).
13
14 Personally i have agreed with this point of view. Our own torrent
15 service is unneeded anymore - we do not lose anything important if we
16 use public trackers for this
19 Best regards, Sergey Popov
20 Gentoo Linux Developer
21 Desktop-effects project lead