From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing SHA512 hash from Manifests
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:37:40
1 On 2021.07.25 00:12, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I don't understand. Isn't it the same motion we put down just 2 months
5 >
6 > ago [1]? Or is this something new?
7 >
8 > If this isn't something new, what has changed since May [2]?
9 >
10 > To remember: Currently we have two different hashes for every
11 > distfile.
12 > If we are going to throw this data away, we should really have good
13 > reasons to do that. Like said during that council meeting, BLAKE2B and
14 >
15 > SHA512 are competing hashes. What's wrong with having a backup plan
16 > even
17 > for a very unlikely scenario, that BLAKE2B will get broken?
18 >
19 > It's not like SHA512 is requiring any additional deps which are
20 > unmaintained or something like that. SHA has even hardware
21 > acceleration
22 > support in modern systems.
23 >
24 > In addition it is even more likely that you will find SHA checksum
25 > files
26 > with upstream release tarballs than BLAKE2B files.
27 >
28 > Remember that verify-sig.eclass I criticized last year? Of course some
29 >
30 > scenarios I outlined were very unlikely and I never expected that I
31 > can
32 > run around in near future saying "I told you". But in January 2021,
33 > CVE-2021-3345 happened in libgcrypt...
34 >
35 > So again: Why should we throw the data we currently have away and put
36 > Gentoo unnecessarily at risk that we will end up without hashes
37 > because
38 > the only hash algorithm we used became broken and given that we will
39 > be
40 > unable to re-hash every file in a timely manner (remember how long it
41 > took to get a BLAKE2B hash for every file)?
45 > See also:
46 > =========
47 > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/784710
48 >
49 > [2] https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20210509.txt
52 > --
53 > Regards,
54 > Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
55 > fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5
59 I'm in the "if it's not broken don't fix it" school.
60
61 The original proposal uses the word 'negligible' twice when describing the
62 the benefits, which makes it sound like busywork. However, it's not me
63 doing the work, so my opinion count for very little.
66 Regards,
67
68 Roy Bamford
69 (Neddyseagoon) a member of