From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Session/.desktop WM compatibility, DM unification
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:12:30
1 On Tuesday 28 March 2006 00:27, foser wrote:
2 > I'm aware of the issues surrounding menus, but the spec gives a lot of
3 > options. As said, we haven't dealt with it, because it is not a snag
4 > that we hit currently.
5 >
6 > I think we can basically have several menu setups fit for different
7 > tasks/DEs and either let loginmanagers choose on startup or users choose
8 > on install.
9 >
10 > I don't know what the future plans are of KDE regarding it's slotting,
11 > but if it intends to use syswide (fdo) specs like mime/icons the install
12 > alternate root is going to be the main hurdle to tackle.
13 If we make a system for selecting menu items. etc on a per-session basis, like
14 you describe above, then I think we can easily support arbitrary additional
15 install locations, specified in env.d or session files.
16
17 I like the idea, now we need to actually design and build such a system :-)
18
19 Do you think all fdo items should be controlled by it and not just menu items?
20 Or should some things always be available (at least by default)? I'm in favor
21 of making everything else available by default (services and so on) because
22 1) I think it's easier using fdo specs - menu files already support filtering
23 and 2) the main complaint against having everything in the menus is clutter,
24 and that's not as big a problem with e.g. filemanager context menus.
27 Dan Armak
28 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
29 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
30 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951