From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr vs. initramfs redux
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 13:47:31
1 On 08/05/2011 04:12 PM, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
2 > * Rich Freeman schrieb am 05.08.11 um 14:42 Uhr:
3 >> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> * Robin H. Johnson schrieb am 05.08.11 um 02:46 Uhr:
5 >>> [...]
6 >>>> That leaves the only reasonable solution as #2. In terms of minimal
7 >>>> impact, I propose that we offer users with a static system an absolutely
8 >>>> minimal initramfs, that _just_ mounts the required directories. No
9 >>>> modules, no LVM, no MD, no crypto etc - if you want that functionality,
10 >>>> go and use genkernel or dracut. If your fstab contains a line like:
11 >>>> /dev/sdXN /usr ...
12 >>>> Then this initramfs is for you.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> The minimal initramfs would do the following.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> 1. Mount devtmpfs/sysfs/procfs as needed to access devices.
17 >>>> 2. Mount real_root to /newroot
18 >>>> 3. Read /newroot/etc/initramfs.mount and /newroot/etc/fstab
19 >>>> 4.1. If /newroot/etc/initramfs.mount does not exist
20 >>>> Assume it contains only: /usr /var
21 >>>> 5. Mount the combined items from said files
22 >>>> 6. pivot_root.
23 >>>>
24 >>>
25 >>> That sounds like a good compromise to me!
26 >>
27 >> Why would we build yet another initramfs vs just making dracut work
28 >> reliably? You can already build dracut without support for
29 >> lvm+raid+luks/etc.
30 >
31 > If dracut will have some sort of minimalistic mode where it would
32 > generate such an initrd that would be ok IMO.
33 >
34 > OTOH the initrd that Robin described would be a very static solution
35 > with almost no dependencies, so if genkernel had a USE flag like
36 > "dracut" it would be possible to build it without dracut
37 > dependency and thus would allow for smaller systems.
38 >
39 > -Marc
40
41 To clarify,
42
43 By dependencies in dracut you mean udev? And by smaller systems you mean
44 systems without udev?
45
46 Then yes, such minimal initramfs should propably be covered in the
47 embedded's documentation, but otherwise trying to avoid dracut is
48 reinventing the wheel...