From: thomas weidner <yasea@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Menu - Bash vs. Python Rule files
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:29:28
1 On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:44:24 +0200, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Svyatogor and me are working on a menu system (like debian ones) for gentoo.
6 > Now we have come to the part where we have to decide whether to use python or
7 > bash scripts for the rule files of the window managers.
8 >
9 > The Python scripts are 2 times as fast as a bash script and in my opinion
10 > would make live easier, are easier to handle. But svyatogor votes for bash
11 > scripts, as more people know how to write bash scripts than python scripts,
12 > here an example of both:
13 >
14 > Python:
15 > http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/gentoo-menu/examples/fluxbox.py?rev=1.3&cvsroot=gentoo-src&content-type=text/plain
16 >
17 > Bash:
18 > http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/gentoo-menu/examples/fluxbox.wm?rev=1.3&cvsroot=gentoo-src&content-type=text/plain
19 >
20 > What would you prefer?
21
22 Why not implement it natively in language A (Python for instance or even
23 C/C++) and write bindings for language B (Bash,Perl,Scheme,...) ?
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list