From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bleeding edge hardened-sources: move PaX markings from ELF to Extended Attributes
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 01:46:55
Mike Frysinger posted on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 17:10:01 -0500 as excerpted:

> while i've never tested xattrs on reiserfs (as alluded earlier, i've > dropped all my reiserfs usage in favor of ext4), but i know tmpfs works > (once you've enabled it in the kernel).
Thanks. FWIW: (1) Tail-packing. (2) Good experience since data=ordered, even thru bad ram induced kernel lockups, plus a drive overheat recovery (dd-rescue) after an AC failure. (3) The kernel folks don't screw with it as much as they do ext*. Reference the infamous ext3 data=writeback period during which reiserfs stayed safely data=ordered. I know people on ext3 that were wondering why they were losing data during that period, until I explained the situation and they switched to explicit data=ordered. btrfs ftw, tho, when I think it's ready. Perhaps after the larger metadata blocks that LWN says is penciled in for 3.3, which should be early January merge-window and mid-March release, assuming 10-week cycles and given current 3.2-rc4. But I'll omit listing my reasons as I did for reiserfs, since I guess anyone interested has already read up on btrfs. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman