From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bleeding edge hardened-sources: move PaX markings from ELF to Extended Attributes
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 01:46:55
1 Mike Frysinger posted on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 17:10:01 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > while i've never tested xattrs on reiserfs (as alluded earlier, i've
4 > dropped all my reiserfs usage in favor of ext4), but i know tmpfs works
5 > (once you've enabled it in the kernel).
6
7 Thanks.
8
9 FWIW:
10
11 (1) Tail-packing.
12
13 (2) Good experience since data=ordered, even thru bad ram induced kernel
14 lockups, plus a drive overheat recovery (dd-rescue) after an AC failure.
15
16 (3) The kernel folks don't screw with it as much as they do ext*.
17 Reference the infamous ext3 data=writeback period during which reiserfs
18 stayed safely data=ordered. I know people on ext3 that were wondering
19 why they were losing data during that period, until I explained the
20 situation and they switched to explicit data=ordered.
21
22 btrfs ftw, tho, when I think it's ready. Perhaps after the larger
23 metadata blocks that LWN says is penciled in for 3.3, which should be
24 early January merge-window and mid-March release, assuming 10-week cycles
25 and given current 3.2-rc4. But I'll omit listing my reasons as I did for
26 reiserfs, since I guess anyone interested has already read up on btrfs.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman