From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Providing consistent means to enable tests requiring Internet access
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 09:19:42
1 On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 07:07:26 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dnia 27 kwietnia 2017 23:42:34 CEST, Alexis Ballier
5 > <aballier@g.o> napisał(a):
6 > >On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:14:13 +0200
7 > >Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> b. those tests can easily be enabled, and that fact is recorded
10 > >> in the installed package metadata,
11 > >>
12 > >> c. the flag can easily be used in RESTRICT="" constraint to easily
13 > >> disable all the tests.
16 > >I see that as a rather important disadvantage. Why would we want to
17 > >record that in VDB ?
18 >
19 > To know whether the tests were run.
20
21 I don't think it belongs there. Unless running tests or not makes a
22 difference on the installed package, in which case it is a bug in the
23 package. Remember: test useflag is a hack that portage auto-enables
24 when running tests and is not taken into account with --newuse. Plus,
25 I've learnt recently there are some subtle differences between portage
26 and PMS, like you have to manually feed RESTRICT="test? ( test )" in
27 order for the desired behavior to be PMS compliant.
31 > >> What do you think? Any other ideas?
32 > >
33 > >why not simply a new RESTRICT value ?
34 >
35 > How would you apply it to part of the tests? How would you prevent
36 > users from running networked tests by default?
37
38 Running part of the tests can get messy with RESTRICT, indeed.
39 Maybe a more manual approach could work then: If ENABLE_NETWORK_TESTS
40 variable is set in environment then run networked tests otherwise
41 display a warning.