From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Optional runtime dependencies via runtime-switchable USE flags
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 21:33:45
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > No, of course not. Otherwise, every package manager run would
3 > practically require it to re-validate all packages in the tree
4 > (possibly not only installed ones).
5 >
6 > Package manager must ensure the flags are valid when package is
7 > in the graph. I would think of IUSE_RUNTIME as a last-step action where
8 > packages were in the graph for rebuild already but the rebuild is
9 > disabled as being unnecessary.
10
11 That's what I thought, was just making sure we're on the same page.
12
13 > No, the USE flag list in vdb may be updated every time the package gets
14 > into the graph with changed runtime flags. I don't consider that
15 > necessary, however. Just a nice backwards compatibility feature for
16 > other applications looking at vdb.
17
18 'K
19
20 > Well, as I see it restricting is more of a policy than a technical
21 > requirement.
22
23 As long as we're clear on which it is, and what restrictions if any the
24 PM can/should impose...
25
26 > But in the current form, the spec doesn't allow passing
27 > IUSE_RUNTIME flags to has_version() so we're on the safe side :P.
28
29 True. Do we want to keep it that restrictive?