From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-libs/ncurses: punted from system in profiles
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 18:05:50
1 On Tuesday 06 December 2011 11:50:52 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > >> ncurses is no longer part of the system deps. in practice, this
5 > >> probably won't make a difference to most people since bash itself
6 > >> depends on ncurses, but it does make embedded/etc... simpler.
7 > >
8 > > Hmm, I wonder how much further we'll have to go before you could use
9 > > portage to build an initramfs. :)
10 >
11 > Whatever man, look at all this bloat!
12 >
13 > virtual/ssh
14
15 i think ssh is so prevalent in today's world that it should be a default on
16 all Gentoo systems. the people who are building standalone systems to the
17 point where they don't want ssh in/out are enough of a minority (in my
18 educated guess) that they can go through the hassle of:
19 mkdir -p /etc/portage/profile/
20 echo net-misc/openssh-0 >> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
21
22 what might be interesting is if we had a "Gentoo default" set which is what
23 would come in a stage3 rather than the current "stage3 is the system set".
24 then we could move virtual/ssh out of the system set and into the "Gentoo
25 default" set so it'd be easier for people to drop/etc... but i'm not familiar
26 enough with the portage support atm to say how feasible such an idea would be.
27
28 > sys-apps/kbd
29
30 this controls keyboard mappings and fonts on the console. while the default
31 is probably OK for the USians, most everyone else wants to tweak these.
32
33 > sys-apps/texinfo
34
35 i personally detest info pages, but we end up needing texinfo by many many
36 packages just to *build* the info pages. and there are some info pages which
37 are vastly superior to the man pages (if any are provided) because the GNU
38 project has the policy of "info pages are the one true documentation format".
39 compare & contrast `man gdb` to `info gdb` or `man make` vs `info make`.
40 -mike