From: "Sean P. Kane" <spkane@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] virtual problem
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 20:13:41
1 Virtual/* means that it isn't an exact package and you simply need
2 something that gives you that service (and is who's ebuild is setup to
3 claim to provide that service).
4
5 i.e. there are a variety of system loggers like metalog, syslogd,
6 syslogd-ng and they all provide virtual/logger, so that any one of them
7 will suffice for some thing that depends on virtual/logger. Where-as if
8 you depended on syslogd, the ebuild would fail for someone using
9 metalog.
10
11 I believe this is covered more here:
12 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/gentoo-howto.html
13
14 Sean
17 -----Original Message-----
18 From: Bill Kenworthy [mailto:billk@×××××××××.au]
19 Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 16:28
20 To: gentoo-dev List
21 Subject: [gentoo-dev] virtual problem
24 I have not been able to do an "emerge --update world" for a couple of
25 weeks now due to various vritual/?????????? packages. e.g., xmms
26 depended on virtual/opengl. I unermerged it and ended up emergeing a
27 number of other packages in the process of getting it back. Now it is
28 done one of those packages, qt, complains of missing virtual/glu when I
29 try and emerge world.
30
31 Can someone explain this whole virtual thing and how to fix, or give a
32 reference in the docs?
33
34 BillK
35
36 * I have noted a couple of other emails along these lines, but havent
37 seen any fixes yet.
38
40 gentoo-dev mailing list
41 gentoo-dev@g.o