From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] PROPERTIES=set for meta-packages that should behave like package sets (revised)
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 15:15:47
1 On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 00:10:56 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 > For the new "sets" profile configuration file format, the simplest
4 > possible layout could have a set name in the first column and a
5 > package atom in the second column. The package atom should match an
6 > ebuild which exhibits the "set" property. In addition to the set
7 > name and atom columns, we may also want to include an EAPI column
8 > which the package manager can use to ensure that it parses the atom
9 > syntax correctly.
10
11 We probably want to start putting a profile_eapi file in each profile
12 directory or something like that... Get package managers to refuse to
13 use any profile that contains a directory using an eapi it doesn't
14 know. This'll help sort out the slot deps in profiles issue too.
15
16 > Similar to the proposed "virtual" property [2], the "set" property
17 > will indicate that dependency calculations should consider the
18 > ebuild to have zero installation cost.
19
20 If we go this route, that needs to be a property of its own, really.
21 Otherwise we'll end up with a dozen properties all of which imply
22 particular different real properties.
23
24 > I order to determine which atoms correspond to a given set, the
25 > first step is to lookup the set name from the profile's "sets"
26 > configuration files. The corresponding package atom is then resolved
27 > to a specific ebuild which should exhibit the "set" property. The
28 > dependency atoms from this ebuild's RDEPEND variable will serve to
29 > make up the atoms of the package set. In cases when these atoms
30 > resolve to other ebuilds that exhibit he "set" property then those
31 > other ebuilds act as nested sets and this nesting process is
32 > recursive with no limit on the depth of nesting. The nested sets do
33 > not necessarily have to be mapped to specific set names by the
34 > profile's "sets" configuration files. If nested sets are anonymous
35 > in this sense then their atoms still become a part of the set that
36 > they are nested within, just as they would if they had been given a
37 > name by the profile's "sets" configuration files.
38
39 Why not just invent a syntax that lets you take an arbitrary ebuild
40 and use an arbitrary dep key from it as a set? Say, something like
41 @RDEPEND(=foo/bar-1.23) . No need for any PROPERTIES or mapping
42 mess at all...
43
44 > Does this seem like a good approach? Are there any suggestions for
45 > improvements or alternative approaches?
46
47 This looks to me as if you're trying to find uses for PROPERTIES,
48 rather than trying to find ways to solve a problem.
51 Ciaran McCreesh