From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Tree Integrity GLEPS for final review and council approval
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 01:09:57
1 On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:30:51PM +0100, Antoni Grzymala wrote:
2 > I reckon that missing GPG infrastructure is one of the greatest problems
3 > of the Gentoo distribution esp. regarding serious corporate and academic
4 > deployments.
5 >
6 > I can devote some time to helping with the matter.
7 I would certainly like to get that GLEP series completed and out there.
8
9 There are still two GLEPs in the series that have not yet made it to
10 draft status:
11 http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/users/robbat2/tree-signing-gleps/02-developer-process-security
12 http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/users/robbat2/tree-signing-gleps/03-gnupg-policies-and-handling
13
14 However the main content of GLEPS 58-61 IS ready for the council to
15 approve, and are NOT blocking on the above two items.
16
17 As such, I would like to present GLEPS 58,59,60,61 for final review, and
18 for the council to vote on their approval during the January meeting.
19
20 I'm going to summarize them here:
21 GLEP58: Security of distribution ... MetaManifest
22 -------------------------------------------------
23 - covers all Manifests with a infra-generated parent Manifest.
24 - required for end-to-end validation.
25 - prevents certain package manager attacks.
26 - NO day-to-day developer actions required.
27
28 GLEP59: Manifest2 hash policies and security implications
29 ---------------------------------------------------------
30 - Add SHA512 to all Manifest files.
31 - Schedule removal of SHA1, MD5, RMD160 for 6-18 months after SHA512
32 addition.
33 - Be prepared to add the NIST hash contest candidates/winner.
34
35 GLEP60: Manifest2 filetypes
36 ---------------------------
37 (Has one TODO that needs clarification).
38 - Breaks down the Manifest2 filetypes into INFOrmational and CRITical.
39 - If the package manager is being strict, then INFO filetypes are
40 treated as CRIT filetypes.
41 - INFO filetypes merely cause a warning on absence.
42 - CRIT filetypes may trigger a delayed OR immediate failure of absence.
43
44 GLEP61: Manifest2 compression
46 - Disk space optimization for MetaManifest from GLEP58.
47
48 There is a prototype of the MetaManifest code here:
49 http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/users/robbat2/tree-signing-gleps/prototype/
50 It worked on Portage 2 years ago, but I haven't run it since then.
53 Robin Hugh Johnson
54 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
55 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
56 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85