From: Chad Huneycutt <chadh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] SSHD problems
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:09:14
1 I have had this problem for a while now, and I am finally ready to get
2 rid of it. I have a gcc-2.95 Gentoo machine with openssh 3.5_p1 and
3 OpenSSL 0.9.6g. I use keychain/ssh-agent for authentication on the
4 remote box, rebo, and it works fine on every other system I have ever
5 tried to log into.
6
7 Here is what happens. My server, goliath, has sshd running (configured
8 with the attached sshd_config file, and my user account on goliath has
9 the ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub from rebo in the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 file.
10 This should be sufficient to allow passphrase-authenticated login,
11 keychain or no. And it does kind of work. Here is a sample session
12
13 chadh@rebo chadh $ ssh goliath
14 Enter passphrase for key '/home/chadh/.ssh/id_dsa': <wrong passphrase>
15 Enter passphrase for key '/home/chadh/.ssh/id_dsa': <correct passphrase>
16 chadh@goliath's password: <correct password>
17 chadh@goliath chadh $
18
19 So it is like the passphrase authentication works, but then I also have
20 to go through the password authentication as well.
21
22 Has anybody else had this problem or have an idea as to how to fix it.
23 It is quite annoying, since it only occurs when I try to login to
24 goliath (and the user account is set up identically to all of my other
25 user accounts). It seems like it must be a problem with sshd, but I
26 don't see any obvious options in sshd_config to cause it. I don't know
27 enough about PAM to diagnose problems there, but I am using the default
28 Gentoo PAM config files.
29
30 Thanks.
33 Chad Huneycutt