From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git braindump: 1 of N: merging & git signing
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 14:28:19
1 On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > How do you KNOW that the nearest signed descendant actually merged it?
3 >
4 > How do you know it wasn't added by a hacker?
5
6 Because then the signature for the nearest signed descendant wouldn't
7 check out (unless it got hacked before he signed it, of course, but in
8 that case hopefully he wouldn't sign it...).
9
10 > Also, when walking the tree keep in mind that there isn't just one
11 > path in it (with merge commits), and the links are from any particular
12 > HEAD going back.  I'm not convinced that this is impossible, but it
13 > isn't as trivial as it might seem at first glance.
14
15 Well, this only means there might potentially be multiple nearest
16 signed descendants, but I don't think that's a problem. Feel free to
17 shoot holes in it, but I think this checks out.
18
19 Of course, we'd have to make sure the tip of whatever is pushed is
20 always signed, but the hook for that should be trivial.
21
22 Cheers,
23
24 Dirkjan