From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:01:30
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 16-06-2010 16:39, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
5 > On 6/16/10 5:33 AM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
6 >> - With these Code of Conduct rules in place how come DevRel
7 >> is not publicly reminding of these rules where necessary?
8 >
9 > I think the initiative is on the offended person's side. If a developer
10 > is being aggressive and needlessly argumentative towards other people,
11 > that's clearly a misconduct. Similarly for aggressive users.
12
13 There is a common misconception here that I feel the need to address. It
14 was never the direct responsibility of the Developer Relations team to
15 "police" the communication mediums nor was it assigned the
16 responsibility to enforce the CoC.
17 The "enforcement" of the CoC was orginally assigned to the Proctors
18 Project. When that project ended, that responsibility was not
19 specifically assigned to any other project.
20 Users and developers should be aware that the Developer Relations team
21 besides taking care of the HR side of Gentoo, including the recruitment
22 and retirement of developers, is responsible for mediation between
23 developers (only developers) and may take disciplinary actions when
24 developers misbehave, usually by request of another developer or team.
25 The responsibility of mediation between users and developers, as well as
26 the review of abusive behaviour by users has been assigned to the User
27 Relations team for quite a few years now.
28 There was a mostly silent agreement between some teams, including
29 DevRel, UserRel, Council and Trustees, that after the Proctors project
30 was terminated, the enforcement of the CoC, including any moderation or
31 banning actions, would fall to the UserRel team.
32
33 >> What can we do to make Gentoo a friendlier community?
34 >
35 > We need leadership. I remember very well when the leader of one of the
36 > Gentoo projects I participate in reminded me to always say "thanks" to
37 > people who are helping us on Bugzilla. A small thing, but wasn't he right?
38 >
39 > I believe it's the project leaders and the Council who ultimately set
40 > the tone.
41
42 Leadership can help by making people focus on goals, promoting shared
43 views and make developers less likely to get entangled on flame wars.
44 However, even though those with more prominent roles like project
45 leaders and council members have an extra responsibility as their
46 actions have greater exposure, it's critical that all members of the
47 community realize that it's up to "each and every one of us" to set the
48 tone. One of the goals of the CoC was to make it clear that every single
49 one of us affects the tone of the community and that each of us can and
50 should make an effort to promote a better tone that will ultimately lead
51 to a "friendlier community".
52
53 > Paweł
56 - --
57 Regards,
58
59 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
60 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections