From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:08:51
1 I don't think this (the general idea) is a heretical thought, in fact it was
2 around for quite some time. See #1523 for example, which actually came out of
3 a similar thread back ?5? years ago.
4 (There were no GLEPs back then, for those of you who will wan't to go "why
5 this isn't it glepped?" :). There were no overlays, even no KEYWORDS back
6 then either, so be carefull if you read it - it is quite outdated (half of
7 what is discussed there is already implemented in fact) and uses old
8 terminology.)
9 But then I agree about many issues raised regarding the Sunrise project. The
10 way it is pushed will not offload anything off the developers and is quite
11 likely to do quite the contrary..
12
13 The main issue:
14 to make it fly and really make something useable (supported by users, *not*
15 taking devs out of the loop and *not* loading them any more) one (at least)
16 ingridient is missing IMNSHO. That is: some ranking system - for the ebuilds
17 *and* for the users. It was referenced as voting system in that bug, we also
18 had gentoo-stats project (now like what, 4 years ago?) which was not quite
19 the same but addressing similar and more immediate issue.
20
21 This part of the process (the rankings), taken as an "entity in itself", is
22 not that straightforward (meaning a significant tossing of the design ideas
23 would be necessary) and the benefits are not that vital. I think these were
24 the main reasons it did not take off as a standalone project (e.g.
25 gentoo-stats was restarted a few times, but eventually died). While it is
26 nice to have some idea of package usage (which was the main goal of
27 gentoo-stats) or get some fuzzy feeling on "I (user) rated holier than thou
28 because of my superior ebuilding skills" (voting process in that bug), these
29 are clearly not enough to create something sustained. And I am not talking
30 about ethics here (this is re: ratings for users - this was actually
31 mentioned a few times, so I'll address it right now). A general rule - if
32 something is perceived worthy it will be done, no matter how unethical. Even
33 if we (the devs) would ban this, nothing stopped the users to create
34 something similar on their own (who knows, based around BMG, forums or
35 whatever). The fact that this did not happen IMHO illustrates pretty well
36 that this is a no-fly thing on its own.
37
38 On the other hand I think that just opening up the barrier and allowing users
39 to easily bring stuff in is just the same no-fly-by-itself thingy. The
40 reason: you have to provide some control over quality or you will get another
41 BMG, and my understanding is (the Sunrise thread was pretty long, so I cannot
42 be totally sure :)) that that was generally accepted. Now, we have two ways
43 to add control:
44
45 1. Involve devs, directly or indirectly - this is what Sunrise is proposing
46 and many devs strongly object.
47
48 2. Involve users and leave it on their side. There were a few words said about
49 how users would take care of it all, but I did not get a clear idea of a
50 workflow..
51
52 First on #1.
53 Sunrise proponents basically say: "we will take care of it all, nobody needs
54 to care". Many devs object: "as long as it has anything-gentoo in its
55 name/affiliations we *will* feel the consequences and *will* have to care".
56 (and now Sunrise poeple basically said that without gentoo in affiliatio it
57 is pointless).
58 To that I'll add that in any case, bacause of the scale, there is just no way
59 Sunrise people themselves are going to be able to keep up. Even if their
60 involvement is reduced to the very basic stuff. (This was implied or shortly
61 noted in some replies, but I wanted to clearly restate it now..)
62 But then, involving users without clear workflow and QC will just create
63 another mess - "just another BMG" as some people called it.
64
65 So, here we go, its number 2 and it requires some structure.
66 The most fluid one I can think of is a rankings system. For the packages
67 (based on reviews of the code, emerge success, usage testing. Can be a
68 compound parameter or multidimentional. That bug has some details, but not
69 much of those - needs serious redesign I'd say to bring it to present from
70 the past..)
71 and for the submitters/editors - based on the ratings of their submissions
72 perhaps (the most straightforwards one), possibly on a few more factors.
76 So, to summarise:
77 1. I do agree that in general that (ease of user-side care) is a good thing,
78 however this requires (quite) a bit more work than just setting up an
79 overlay..
80
81 2. (at least) two things - the ease of submission/access to packages and
82 QC/ratings are quite tied together and have to be designed/implemented at the
83 same time. (And there is some empirical evidence to back this up - BMG and
84 gentoo-stats for one) .
85
86 George
87