From: Guilherme Amadio <amadio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Need design help/input for eclean-kernel
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 17:59:13
1 On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 02:38:26PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > So if you have some time, please reply to this thread with
3 > a specific /boot layout that you think needs to be handled, with
4 > as much helpful information as possible -- including possible
5 > distinctive features and pitfalls.
6
7 Looks like not too many people are booting kernels like me, so
8 I'm going to add my crude setup to the pile :)
9
10 I compile most stuff into the kernel (at least enough so I don't
11 need to use an initrd/initramfs to mount / or /usr). I do not use a boot
12 loader either, I use CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y and compile in the command
13 line arguments to avoid trouble. Then, I use efibootmgr to boot the
14 kernel at /boot/EFI/Gentoo/bootx64.efi
15
16 I usually keep several kernels in the same directory with a version
17 suffix (e.g. bootx64-4.6.2.efi, etc) and overwrite the bootx64.efi
18 file with whatever kernel I want to boot with cp bootx64{-4.x.x,}.efi
19
20 I keep a few older kernels around in case I screw up the configuration
21 of a new one (usually video drivers), but for the most part, that's it.
22
23 My compiled kernel command line is also pretty simple:
24
25 quiet console=tty1 root=/dev/sda4 init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
26
27 I never really though about writing scripts to manage this, since it's
28 quite a simple setup, but having tools to manage it would be nice.
29
30 Just think about supporting a simple EFI/UEFI setup, I would say, in
31 addition to the more common setups using a boot loader.
32
33 Cheers,
34 —Guilherme