From: "Dawid Węgliński" <cla@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:41:45
1 On Sunday 20 of September 2009 00:32:28 Dale wrote:
2 > >
3 > > ~arch is for testing ebuilds, not the upstream package
4 >
5 > So it would be OK to mark something "stable" even tho portage itself
6 > doesn't work with it? Sorry, this makes no sense to me. I run stable
7 > for the most part and having a package that portage depends on that is
8 > not stable just sounds a little like putting the cart before the horse.
9 >
10 > See some of the other replies as to why this is a not so good idea.
11 >
12 > Dale
13 >
15
16 You mix it up. Portage works with python 3.1. If an user switches to python
17 3.1 as the main interpreter, it's possible that his own scripts won't work.
18 Marking it stable sometine in november give's some time to ebuilds
19 maintainers to fix their python based apps just like it's done with gcc
20 stabilization.
21
22 So marking python 3.1 stable and telling users "port your own apps/scripts to
23 current python" sounds good to me.