From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Let's redesign the entire filesystem! [was newsitem: unmasking udev-181]
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:33:48
1 On 2012-03-12, at 9:22 PM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
4 > And yes, I've already tested out udev-181 on a VM with a
5 > separate /usr. With devtmpfs, the system fully boots just fine, no
6 > initramfs needed. Guess what the only piece of software to mess up is?
7 > Udev. I largely think it's a timing issue in OpenRC, however, because /usr
8 > DOES get mounted fairly quickly, but not before udevd starts. But udevd
9 > does restart itself and everything looks to work fine. If you aren't
10 > watching the terminal, you wouldn't even notice the failures.
14 THANK YOU for testing this -- I could not forsee a reason, back when this process started, as to why openrc couldn't mount /usr before udev started. since devtmpfs should provide the source devnode anyways. It's good to have a (near) proof of that.
15
16 Ian