From: drobbins@g.o
To: Justin Vander Ziel <zielot@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug report, Portage question, No sources included
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:21:39
On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 07:51:58PM -0600, Justin Vander Ziel wrote:

> Unless you're thinking of modules, I think it would be better to include a > few kernel variations and the dd command in the boot cd. I thought it was odd > that this was omitted anyways. I had to create a boot disk in Windows using > rawrite. (well actually, I learned later that I really was able to install > grub from the grub prompt on the CD. Since I had never used GRUB and always > LILO, this business was all new to me then.)
We're working on improving hardware support. The main reason there's no PCMCIA support is that I don't have a laptop. So, I can't really test any PCMCIA stuff.
> Actually I may be looking in the wrong place, but all that I found in > /usr/src/linux were the kernel headers which were installed with sys.tbz2 - > but no source code. Actually, I did not find source code ANYWHERE which > surprised me given the idea behind this distro to roll your own. Or perhaps I > misunderstood and the idea is to UPDATE with source code?? (See my first > question) Or perhaps, even worse, I'm more of a newbie than I think.
When you do this: # ebuild foo-1.2.ebuild merge The sources for foo-1.2 will be automatically downloaded either from the Gentoo Linux mirror, or from the original download site. The downloaded files are stored in /usr/portage/distfiles. We'll most likely be providing a "sources" ISO image soon for those who don't have a fairly decent link to the Internet. -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org Gentoo Technologies, Inc.