From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] */*: Mask Py2 only packages
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 18:04:07
1 On Wed, 2020-06-24 at 19:48 +0200, Andreas Sturmlechner wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 13:19:08 CEST Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > You seem to think that maintainers should know if they're maintaining
4 > > a v2-only package. I suspect that most maintainers don't pay that
5 > > close attention to what versions of python are supported by their
6 > > various packages, and neither do most users.
7 >
8 > I would expect exactly that of maintainers. By now, there has been py27-EOL
9 > mail on this list aplenty for everyone to get the message.
10 >
11 > Instead, every single maintainer should already have removed py27 from
12 > defaults and be actively cutting down the resulting package.use list of those
13 > packages they maintain and if necessary also their dependencies.
14
15 I think you're making the wrong assumption that Gentoo developers run
16 bleeding edge systems. Instead, many of them prefer running stable
17 and avoiding anything even remotely problematic.
20 Best regards,
21 Michał Górny