From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] New keywords for non-Gentoo Linux platforms
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:13:46
1 On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:56:37 +0200
2 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:48:19 +0200
5 > Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Whatever. Some of you seem to have some quite agressive dislikement
8 > > to it. In the end it's just a name/tag. I guess I could live with
9 > > anything, including c3p0.
10 >
11 > Well, while I dislike x64 I'm more concerned about using different
12 > names (amd64 and x64) for the same architecture (same would apply if
13 > you had used i386 or ia32 in some cases instead of x86) and was just
14 > checking if there was any functional reason for that difference.
15
16 I would agree with this.
17
18 As a user coming to the project, x64 is NOT the same arch as amd64, it
19 has a different name! Select one name for the arch, and use it
20 everywhere. Consistent naming is more important than having the name
21 absolutely technically correct.
22
23 And seeing as Gentoo uses amd64 for all those arches in the main tree
24 with minimal problems, I personally would vote for using amd64 in -alt
25 to retain consistency with the rest of Gentoo.
26
27 Just my 2 cents.
28
29 Rob.