From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] allowing configuration of builds?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:30:50
1 Pete Gavin wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I was thinking about a way we could allow configuration information to
6 > be passed to the ebuild scripts at build time. This information could be
7 > stored in the package database, so that doing "ebuild
8 > /var/db/pkg/{whatever}/{whatever}.ebuild remerge" would create the exact
9 > same package as before. We could make it so that if you do something
10 > like "ebuild {path-to-ebuild-file} query" it will tell you what
11 > configuration options are available, then you could set those options on
12 > the ebuild command line. That way, say, for example, there are packages
13 > that can use gnome, but don't require it, you could do
14 >
15 > ebuild {ebuild-file} merge without-gnome
16 >
17 > or some such to build it w/o gnome support. The ebuild file will check
18 > for these options and set the appropriate command line switches to
19 > configure. You could even cause these options to apply different
20 > patches. Has anyone else thought about this?
21
22 Yes I did but that whould make resolving dependencies more difficult.
23 There might be situations like
24
25 package a requires package b (with gnome support).
26
27 Such cases are not covered by our current dependencie approach.
28
29 So dependencies must look like
30
31 a.ebuild
32 ---------
33 DEPEND="gnome? ( b(gnome) )
34 !gnome? ( b )"
35
36 Which means if a should build with gnome support then we need b with gnome
37 support.
38 If a should be build without gnome support we need b (with our without
39 gnome support).
40
41 At the moment we focus on stability and do not want to add more features to
42 ebuild.
43 Once packages are all correct, secure and dependencies are all working we
44 want to
45 improve configuration.
46
47 Daniel is working on a next gen ebuild. I don't think such major
48 modifications will be made
49 to our current ebuild but they will make it in the next version.
50
51 achim~
55 > Pete
58 > gentoo-dev mailing list