From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 22:01:03
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > I would like to discuss the possibility of discontinuing LibreSSL
3 > support in Gentoo in favor of sticking with OpenSSL.
4
5 I think that's a horrible idea, since Gentoo is about choice and this
6 particular component is one of the most important in a system.
7
8 But "support" can mean different things...
11 > LibreSSL users, does LibreSSL today have any benefit over OpenSSL?
12
13 Yes, at least two:
14
15 A. It is a distinct implementation with probably /quite some/ stable
16 compatibility, meaning that it will work perfectly fine as an
17 alternative in many cases.
18
19 B. It brings its own TLS API, a unique feature which by itself warrants
20 the package.
23 > All this considered, provided that nobody is able to find a good reason
24 > to use LibreSSL, I would like to propose that we stop patching
25 > packages, discontinue support for it and last rite it.
26
27 There is no reason at all to do all three of those atomically:
28
29 1. Stop patching packages to make them build also against libressl
30 2. Stop maintaining libressl-*.ebuild
31 3. package.mask
32
33 I think the complaint is really only about 1. and I can understand
34 that the effort here outweighs the perceived benefit, that's fine,
35 I don't think it's the responsibility of Gentoo developers to patch
36 the world to build also against libressl.
37
38 But as long as a single package can be built with either openssl or
39 libressl without changes I consider it appropriate to maintain both
40 libressl ebuilds and either virtual/openssl or another way to decide
41 system-wide to use libressl instead of openssl. This remains very
42 valuable especially for non-releng stages.
43
44 More elaborate OpenSSL API users can (arguably should) just block on
45 libressl instead of requiring patch work.
48 //Peter