From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:00:55
1 On 11/18/2012 04:48 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > El dom, 18-11-2012 a las 11:13 +0200, Samuli Suominen escribió:
3 >> On 18/11/12 07:19, Greg KH wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:00:52AM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
5 >>>> Having a builtin is a good idea, but the implementation as a mandatory
6 >>>> dependency on kmod is not. The plan is to reintroduce it as an optional
7 >>>> dependency, so that distributions (and Gentoo users) that do not want it
8 >>>> can avoid it. None of us want to force dependencies on others and there
9 >>>> is no need for this one.
10 >>> You do realize that you didn't really drop the dependency at all, right?
11 >> Exactly what I had in mind. So far I see bunch of regressions (back to
12 >> bundling code :() in the "eudev" repository and more it deviates from
13 >> the orig. upstream the less attractive it's looking...
14 >>
15 >> What should be done, at most, is to cherry-pick and revert the things
16 >> that killed the sep. /usr support, put it behind an USE flag to the
17 >> current udev's ebuild, perhaps IUSE="+vanilla", and be done with it.
18 >>
19 >> - Samuli
22 > +1
23 >
24 > @eudev maintainers, Wouldn't that be possible?
25
26 What began as me experimenting and moving code around to see what was
27 the best approach to begin addressing several issues has suddenly turned
28 into a war. Pacho, I am not sure whether it is possible or the best way
29 to proceed. I say that with neutrality because I haven't figured out
30 everything that's there.
31
32 The two edged sword here is that, while I want to do the thinking out
33 loud where people can see what I'm considering in code changes and
34 participate, I opened the flood gate for a lot of anger. I woke up to
35 see the name of the repo changed and a legal threats being thrown around.
36
37 I know that by my very sending of this email, I will have a lot of CC's
38 coming back at me with criticisms about things I didn't know I had even
39 taken a stand on.
40
41 There is one pressing issue though. It is my understanding that the
42 council would like to see where this gets in one months time and stayed
43 off a vote on udev. There are strong feelings for openrc and a
44 systemd-less udev. These will not go away irrespective of this project.
47 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
48 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
49 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
50 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
51 GnuPG ID : D0455535