From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Virtual for awk implementation
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 18:30:51
1 Am 30.05.2012 02:11, schrieb Christoph Junghans:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > recently I stumbled across a problem with mawk, which is apprearly
5 > Ubuntu's default awk interpreter.
6 > This brought the idea to my mind of adding a virtual for awk. Beside
7 > the fact that we already have 3 awk interpreters in gx86 (gawk, mawk
8 > and busybox awk), there are other ones like nawk and awka.
9 >
10 > I had some discussions with spanKY on that topic in bug #415689, which
11 > summarizes in the following:
12 >
13 > Advantages:
14 > - mawk is faster - useful for scientific purposes
15 > - busybox awk could replace gawk on minimal systems
16 > - more POSIX conform systems
17 >
18 > Disadvantages:
19 > - some awk code in the tree and portage is probably using GNU
20 > extensions without executing gawk explicitly
21 > - gray zone of Posix 1003.2 (e.g. substr() function and an index of 0)
22 >
23 [...]
24 >
25 > I have tested mawk as default interpreter for a while on my x86 boxes
26 > and didn't observed any problems so far.
27 >
28 > Cheers,
29 >
30 > Christoph
33 An easy easy way to crash mawk is opening many different files.
34
35 mkdir -p mkdir /tmp/foo; find "$HOME" -type f -printf '%f %s\n' | \
36 gawk '{ print $2 > "/tmp/foo/" $1 }'
37
38 --> Fills /tmp/foo with small files
39
40 mkdir -p mkdir /tmp/foo; find "$HOME" -type f -printf '%f %s\n' | \
41 mawk '{ print $2 > "/tmp/foo/" $1 }'
42
43 --> Crashes with error 'mawk: cannot open "/tmp/foo/7B090d01" for output
44 (Too many open files)'
45
46 Probably not the cleverest approach to this but just a reminder that
47 there are still subtle differences.
48
49 That being said, +1 for giving the choice.
50
51 Regards,
52 Florian Philipp