From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git braindump: 2 of N: developer interaction (merge co-ordinators)
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 16:07:09
1 On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > A hierarchy of merge lieutenants:
3 > - This is basically the Linux kernel model. The ability to merge into
4 >  master resides with a single person, and he pulls from other known
5 >  specified developers, who serve to collect and fix conflicts as needed
6 >  from the general developer population.
7 > A merge co-ordinators that switches with time.
8 > - This resembles the model used by Mozilla.
9 > - Switches on a time basis; is generally some developer with a fast
10 >  internet connection.
11 > - Responsible for taking pull requests, merging, fixing conflicts or
12 >  punting back, and pushing to the master branch.
13
14 I think the current Mozilla situation isn't really covered here. As I
15 understand it, they use a model that's kind of in between "merge
16 lieutenant" and "merge co-ordinator". They have integration and
17 project branches, where basic commits first land. Then those branches
18 are generally merged into mozilla-central by any team member for that
19 branch.
20
21 But IMO, discussing this now is a kind of premature optimization. We
22 should try to just do the simple thing (everyone commits to the main
23 tree), and if there are too many push races we can re-evaluate the
24 issue. It might make sense for projects/herd that already do a lot of
25 work in an overlay to switch to using a branch which they could then
26 merge at once, of course.
27
28 Cheers,
29