From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Add midi useflag to base profile defaults
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 00:33:54
1 As per summary.
2
3 I've introduced th emidi useflag for alsa-lib and alsa-utils in the recent
4 versions of ALSA to enable/disable sequencer (MIDI) support, as most of home
5 users probably wouldn't need it. Unfortunately the version of alsa-lib where
6 midi can be disabled is still masked because there are packages that needs to
7 be fixed not to die badly when it is disabled (for instance KMix does not
8 complete configure because the whole ALSA test is using snd_seq_open
9 function); also, some packages might require midi support with alsa useflag
10 enabled (kdelibs for instance).
11
12 For these reasons I'd like to maintain the default out of the box behaviour
13 consistent with the one we had before the introduction of midi useflag,
14 leaving the users the choice to disable it entirely or partially (see bug
15 #163531, where an user requested for alsa-driver to have a midi useflag
16 too -- to avoid building MIDI support in ALSA kernel drivers too).
17
18 If nobody disagrees with this, I'll be adding midi useflag to default USE in
19 base in three days.
22 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
23 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...