From: Louis-Philippe Brochu <lpbrochu@×××××××××.ca>
To: Brad Laue <brad@××××××.com>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, Gentoo User <gentoo-user@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage quibbles
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:57:06
1 On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 19:35, Brad Laue wrote:
2 > Small conundrum arises; if evolution is uninstalled and nothing else
3 > depends on mozilla, even emerge world -up --deep will not catch and
4 > upgrade mozilla if there is an upgrade available; workarounds like using
5 > qpkg -nc -I | xargs emerge -up --deep have to be employed, which
6 > effectively bypasses the world file and walks the /var filesystem instead.
7 >
8 > Bug?
9
10 IMHO Portage should have a way to upgrade all installed packages. No
11 need for dependencies checking (--deep) or world file, Just go through
12 the list of all installed packages (that we can get with qpkg) and act
13 as if there were part of the world file in the current implementation.
14 In fact i think such an option should be the default one
15
16 What do you think? Why would someone want to update only packages in the
17 world file? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the previous method
18 compared to the current --deep option?
22 Louis-Philippe Brochu <lpbrochu@×××××××.com>
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list