From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: masking old versions of sys-devel/gcc
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 16:26:29
1 On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 07:59:53PM +0200, Guilherme Amadio wrote:
2 >
3 > I would rather prefer to keep essential development tools in tree.
4 > GCC is not only used as system compiler, but also for development.
5 > I already had problems before with CMake being aggressively removed,
6 > so I couldn't just install CMake 3.5.2 to test something that got
7 > broken with the latest CMake (3.7.2 at the time).
8 >
9 > For things like autotools, CMake, compilers, etc, I would like to
10 > see at least the latest release of the previous major version (e.g.
11 > CMake 2.8), and the last few latest releases from the current major
12 > version (e.g. CMake 3.{5,6,7}). Similarly for essential libraries,
13 > as in prefix you may be somewhat limited by the host (think macOS),
14 > so removing old ebuilds aggressively breaks stuff. I think this was
15 > the case with clang before, where we needed 3.5 and that got removed,
16 > so bootstrapping on macOS was broken for sometime.
17
18 That's completely reasonable. My concern is that we have the following
19 versions of gcc in the tree:
20
21 gcc-2.95.3-r10
22 gcc-3.3.6-r1
23 gcc-3.4.6-r2
24 gcc-4.0.4
25 gcc-4.1.2
26 gcc-4.2.4-r1
27 gcc-4.3.6-r1
28 gcc-4.4.7
29 gcc-4.5.4
30 gcc-4.6.4
31 gcc-4.7.4
32 gcc-4.8.5
33 gcc-4.9.3
34 gcc-4.9.4
35 gcc-5.4.0
36 gcc-5.4.0-r3
37 gcc-6.3.0
38
39 Under your proposal, I guess we would just have gcc-5.4.0-r3, gcc-4.9.4
40 and maybe gcc-3.4.6-r2 and *definitely maybe* gcc-2.95.3-r10. Is this
41 correct?
42
43 William