From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 05:38:14
1 On 06/25/2012 12:15 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > An official release of grub-2.00 should be coming pretty soon. I would
3 > like to keyword this for ~amd64 and ~x86 shortly after it hits the tree.
4 > I don't do much work on base system packages, so I would like some
5 > advice on how to make this as smooth as possible.
6 >
7 > My main concern is that many people probably have sys-boot/grub in
8 > @world. If grub:2 is made visible, portage will install it, and will
9 > remove grub-0.97 on the next depclean. This could be a little confusing,
10 > but should not cause any immediate damage since the copy of grub-0.97
11 > installed in the MBR and /boot would remain intact.
12 >
13 > Is this worthy of a news item? Or I just blog about it?
14 >
15 > Anything else I need to think about here?
16 >
17 > Note: The Gentoo Documentation Project has indicated that they do not
18 > want to add anything to the handbook until we are somewhat close to
19 > stabilizing grub:2. That's at least a couple months away.
22 I think it would be best to move sys-boot/grub:2 to sys-boot/grub2. That
23 should avoid confusion.