From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Enable FEATURES=config-protect-if-modified by default?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 09:49:26
1 El mié, 16-05-2012 a las 11:42 +0200, Fabian Groffen escribió:
2 > On 16-05-2012 12:36:03 +0300, Eray Aslan wrote:
3 > > On 2012-05-16 12:13 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 > > >>> make.conf(5) man page:
5 > > >>> This causes the CONFIG_PROTECT behavior to be skipped for files that
6 > > >>> have not been modified since they were installed.
7 > > >
8 > > > +1 very good idea
9 > >
10 > > Hmm, does that mean that when a default changes in (or some new setting
11 > > is added to) an app config file, I'll get no prompt and no warning
12 > > assuming I go with the default settings in the app? That presumes that
13 > > the new default or the new setting does not break my setup. That is a
14 > > big assumption.
15 >
16 > I'd think so, yes
17
18 But similar assumption applies to current behavior: if a user forgets to
19 run dispatch-conf after updating and machine is rebooted (by error, due
20 some power failure, due other users rebooting it...), they will probably
21 get failures when booting and, for example, some init.d scripts file to
22 start due obsolete conf.d files being preserved by default.
25 > > Even if we go with enabling it by default, please have a news item so
26 > > that one can turn it off if necessary. Even then, new installs will
27 > > have to remember to turn it off.
28 >
29 > +1
32 But I also agree with releasing a news item for the change of course :)