From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: aballier@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 01:20:19
1 All,
2
3 I thought that since the usr merge is coming up again, and since I lost
4 track of the message where it was brought up, I would open a
5 new thread to discuss it.
6
7 When it came up before, some were saying that the /usr merge violates
8 the fhs. I don't remember the specifics of what the claim was at the
9 time, (I'm sure someone will point it out if it is still a concern).
10
11 I don't think creating usr merged stages would be that difficult. I
12 think it would just be a matter of creating a new version of baselayout
13 that puts these symlinks in place:
14
15 /bin->usr/bin
16 /lib->usr/lib
17 /lib32->usr/lib32
18 /lib64->usr/lib64
19 /sbin->usr/bin
20 /usr/sbin->bin
21
22 Once that is in place in a new baselayout, I think portage's colission
23 detection would be able to catch files that had the same names and were
24 originally in different paths when building the new stages.
25
26 I put some thought also in how to nigrate live systems, and I'm not sure
27 what the best way to do that is. I wrote a script, which would do it in
28 theory, but I haven't tested because I only have one system and if
29 it breaks it the only way back would be to reinstall.
30
31 The script is attached.
34 Thoughts on any of this?
35