From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] -Werror unwanted?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 18:54:00
1 El lun, 14-05-2012 a las 20:24 +0200, Jeroen Roovers escribió:
2 > On Mon, 14 May 2012 18:01:22 +0200
3 > Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > -Werror is basically saying that it is not safe to ship code which
6 > > produces warnings.
7 >
8 > An upstream demanding -Werror should work means upstream would need to
9 > test rather a lot more than their own favourite
10 > distro/architecture/library versions/kernel/userland, which isn't
11 > going to happen.
12 >
13 > > I personally think that if an upstream says that no warnings must be
14 > > produced by the code, and a developer should look at them before
15 > > declaring any warnings safe, then that is best followed.
16 >
17 > Upstream does not need to take into account warnings produced by
18 > compilers for lesser known architectures, as explained above.
19 >
20 > As an upstream development aid to check code that has just been added
21 > or changed, -Werror is fine, but not in the wild jungle that is Gentoo.
22 > You might as well just look at the warnings themselves instead of
23 > breaking the build system by making them fatal. In other words, for
24 > upstream development it's convenient, but never for our users out there.
25 >
26 > Also, bug reports based on *FLAGS=-Werror will be closed as INVALID.
27 > (Perhaps we should document that too.)
30 > jer
34 I fully agree with Jeroen on this, -Werror problems should be reported
35 directly to upstream if people want to help them on fixing warnings.