From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Reviving GLEP33
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:05:25
Jeremy Olexa posted on Thu, 05 Aug 2010 18:43:55 -0500 as excerpted:

> People will not "hate you" - if the portage with EAPI4 is in ~arch, you > can have PHP w/EAPI4 in ~arch, even on zero-day of release. Likewise > with stable tree. It does not matter when council "approves" EAPI4, it > matters when portage has the implementation and is released..
Isn't it /both/? IOW, just because portage implements it, doesn't mean it's usable in-tree, if it's not part of an approved EAPI. Similarly, approval before released support again doesn't mean it's allowed in-tree. Only with both is it then allowed. Leastwise, that was my read of the council decision back then. But zero-day, yes, provided it's both approved and in-portage at the same level (~arch or stable).
> The caveat is with @system packages, especially bash/python/portage > itself.
Again, yes. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman