From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-bsd@l.g.o, gentoo-alt@l.g.o, gwn-feedback@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo/FreeBSD: license problems require a development pause
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 02:55:00
1 On Sunday 07 January 2007 02:47, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > This is a very sad blog by my side, although I hope this can be cleared up
3 > soon so that I don’t have to be this sad anymore in the future.
4 Edit: Timothy (drizzt) found us the escape route. Applying
5 ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change we can legally
6 drop the clause 3 of 4-clause BSD license, and be done with it. I’m writing
7 in this moment the code to do this, but it might require a new stage to come
8 out. Anyway, the problem is solved, and I think I’ll mail FSF for them to
9 actually put that note somewhere, as it doesn’t seem to be that documented
10 around here.
11
12 This *should* cover our asses about the problem, although I'm still looking if
13 there are sources that are redistributed under 4-clause BSD license, and for
14 which the license change is not effective (i.e.: they are not under UCB
15 copyright).
18 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
19 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...