From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:03:45
1 21.08.2013 17:38, Wyatt Epp пишет:
2 > Fundamentally, I see this as a problem of tooling.
5 I think that no tool can cover all cases of checking that software
6 WORKS. I mean - in generic, for all kinds of software. You can guarantee
7 if it builds, if it follow some QA rules about CFLAGS/LDFLAGS/whatever,
8 but there is only one 100% way to guarantee that software works - run
9 and do something useful :-).
10
11 Yeah, i know about testsuites, that can help in that case. Unfortunately:
12
13 1) they do not cover all cases, but that's not so important;
14 2) often they are badly broken;
15 3) not every program carries test suite.
16
17 So, we stuck at automation in run-time checks right at the beginning :-).
18
19 But yeah, we could automate build-time checks, surely.
23 > I'd like to point out something that jumped out to me as a red flag
24 > earlier (not to pick on you specifically, Tom; this is just the
25 > cleanest example I saw), and turn it into an example:
26 >