From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Roman Gaufman <hackeron@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init script optimizations?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:17:56
1 On Wednesday 13 October 2004 22:26, Roman Gaufman wrote:
2 > Hey, I came across this page on the forum:
3 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=231170 -- looking
4 > specifically at the init.d script modifications. What do you think?
5 >
6 > Seems like pretty safe modification, but make very noticeable speed up
7 > in system startup. Maybe these changes should be made in the next
8 > baselayout update?
9
10 That article in the forums suggests adding xdm to the boot runlevel to get it
11 started sooner. Ive been doing something for a while which is slightly
12 different, and IMO a little cleaner.
13
14 I use an additional runlevel called postx for services that shouldnt hold up
15 xdm. xdm and all the essential services are in the standard default runlevel.
16 Then in /etc/conf.d/local.start I have....
17 (sleep 20; /sbin/rc postx) > /var/log/postx &
18
19 The sleep allows enough time for xdm to start smoothly, then the postx
20 runlevel services are started in the background.
24 Toby Dickenson
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list