From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 15:35:38
1 On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 09:31:07AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Add another to the list of folks who disagree with this and with the
3 > approach being taken.
4 >
5 > I don't blame gentoo devs per se, but I do feel like this is being
6 > forced down everyone's throats without any regard to the *nix philosophy
7 > of having separate /usr which has worked for years, and if people would
8 > fix their bugs correctly would continue to work.
9
10 Same here. I do consider the situation to be a bug and, even if the damage
11 is already done, it doesn't mean we should help with debolishing what is
12 left.
13
14 If anything, we should make it clear to users when and why an initramfs is
15 needed. Saying "because you have a /usr on a separate file system" is not
16 only a lie, it also covers the truth beneath it. Rather, why not identify in
17 which situation(s) you will need an initramfs and work from there?
18
19 I personally have /usr on a separate partition too (using LVM) without an
20 initramfs or initrd. Works just fine. And I'd like to keep it that way,
21 since it is simple and very manageable.
22
23 Wkr,
24 Sven Vermeulen