From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] sys-apps/paludis to be last rited shortly
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 09:09:58
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 I feel that the time has come to last-rite sys-apps/paludis. Given that
4 we're talking about a package manager, I've decided to give you all
5 a heads up. I will probably go for 90 day period but I don't think this
6 is going to help much unless someone is willing to put a tremendous
7 effort in either getting it actively maintained upstream once more,
8 or forks it.
9
10 The truth is, Paludis has been on life support for quite some time
11 already. Upstream was not really interested in supporting Gentoo which
12 both resulted in Paludis staying behind on features and hitting issues
13 with new versions and/or Gentoo packaging of dependencies. Furthermore,
14 upstream seems to really have lost willingness to work on Paludis
15 at all.
16
17 The last upstream release was in May 2016. Since then, I've been
18 chasing snapshots to fix build-time failures, especially with new boost
19 and gcc versions. Today, Paludis once again fails to build with new
20 boost, upstream doesn't even seem aware of the issue and I really don't
21 feel like there's any purpose in chasing it once again. It's not
22 helpful that boost-python breaks frequently, and upstream doesn't really
23 care about keeping the Python API.
24
25 In the meantime, Paludis has failed to follow any changes in Gentoo.
26 EAPI 6 was never fully implemented (on purpose). It's unlikely that
27 EAPI 7 would be implemented at all (Paludis upstream apparently doesn't
28 like it). Portage configuration support is stuck years behind, with no
29 awareness of repos.conf. New Manifest hashes were not implemented.
30 Patch for news item format 2.0 is waiting on upstream bug tracker for 3
31 months already.
32
33 I've filed a few Gentoo bugs to track appropriate bugs upstream,
34 and collected the most important issues in last rite tracker [1].
35 Other useful resources: all sys-apps/paludis bugs [2], upstream bug
36 tracker (yes, it's very slow) [3], upstream git [4].
37
38 If you'd like Paludis to stay, I'm afraid you'll either need to start
39 working hard on patches and find a way to make upstream merge them, or
40 fork Paludis and start improving its Gentoo support.
41
42 [1]:https://bugs.gentoo.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=658278
43 [2]:https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=sys-apps%2Fpaludis
44 [3]:http://paludis.exherbo.org/trac/