From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: robo-stable bugs
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 00:46:58
1 Rich Freeman posted on Mon, 20 May 2013 13:15:09 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 >> Severity and Priority on the Gentoo Bugzilla have always been weird to
4 >> me; I would love to hear from someone who is actually using either of
5 >> those to sort their bugs and using them happily, because the
6 >> inconsistency applied by different people is making a mess of them.
7 >
8 > I suspect we could just get by with one field.
9 >
10 > Typically at work the severity reflects impact of a bug (the effects it
11 > has on customers), and the priority reflects management direction on
12 > what developers should be working on. Our fields are a bit of a
13 > mish-mash of both, and of course maintainers can generally ignore or
14 > work on bugs in any order with little impact on their salary. It does
15 > make sense to distinguish between a bug holding up the next gcc release
16 > (scheduled a week in the future) and adding a desktop entry to a package
17 > that otherwise works just fine.
18
19 As a user, I've understood:
20
21 * Severity is something the user/filer can use.
22
23 * Priority is strictly for maintainers/teams if they want to use it, NOT
24 the user/filer (unless it's a maintainer filed bug).
25
26 Thus there's reason to have two separate fields, one that's specifically
27 reserved for the maintainer, one for the user, that a maintainer can
28 choose to ignore if they decide to.
29
30 Even so, if there's no known-approved reason to set severity, a user
31 should just leave it alone. That means users unfamiliar with gentoo's
32 bugzilla should just leave it alone.
33
34 Here, I only use severity in a few cases, generally the exception rather
35 than the rule.
36
37 * If it's an enhancement I mark it as such, and expect maintainer bug
38 priority ranked less urgent as a result. The *.desktop file example
39 someone mentioned goes here, as do, arguably, changes such as the md
40 initscript improvements I filed some years ago (tho those could equally
41 arguably be left as normal by the user and let the maintainer decide, I'd
42 certainly not argue a maintainer changing that to/from enhancement).
43
44 * If the bug has system-wide or arch-class-wide (all ~arch, for instance)
45 implications, I'll sometimes up severity accordingly, with a note in the
46 text explaining my reasoning. Toolchain or base-system bugs that prevent
47 normal boot or system upgrade arguably fit here, especially if they're on
48 a recently (say a day) unmasked or announced to be unmasked package with
49 arch-class-wide implications, where an immediate remask might be
50 appropriate until the situation can be resolved.
51
52 * Also, arugably many security bugs could get severity-upgraded, altho
53 with security handled separately on gentoo, I'd discourage that unless
54 again it's something like toolchain or base-system, thus fitting the
55 above system-wide condition.
58 Based on the above, I'd suggest that:
59
60 * The priority field should be restricted to devs (if it's not already),
61 and that devs who misuse the field on packages they don't maintain be
62 treated accordingly.
63
64 * The severity field is arguably a candidate for "first gentoo
65 privilege", restricted for ordinary users, but with a moderately liberal
66 "on-request" policy, for users who have demonstrated consistent
67 responsible bug filing, on gentoo bugzy at least, but also those who can
68 point to bugs filed elsewhere in the community, package upstream and peer-
69 distro maintainers, etc.
70
71 Of course the "first gentoo privilege" is requisite on the appropriate
72 infrastructure being in place to handle it, and would arguably be
73 settable by anyone with higher gentoo bugzilla privs. If implemented,
74 constructing an initial whitelist might be in order. A note in gentoo
75 bugzy suggesting that users can request "severity privilege" in any filed
76 bug, should they believe they can handle it responsibly, could be
77 appropriate as well.
82 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman